Caring For Hearing Aids
How to Take Care of Your Hearing Aids
You rely on your hearing aids every day to provide you with the quality hearing you have come to expect. In order to keep your devices working correctly, and to ensure they last you for many years to come, it's important that you take care of them. Properly caring for your hearing aids will ensure they keep functioning their best for you, and will decrease your chances of having to go without them if they need to be repaired.
Here are some helpful tips on how to take care of your hearing aids!
- Store your hearing aids in a dry place. Hearing aids are advanced mini computers, and it's crucial that they are stored in a safe, dry place. Excessive moisture can harm the mechanical parts of your hearing aids, causing them to malfunction over time. Never wear your hearing aids in the water, always be sure to take them out whenever you shower or go swimming. It's also important to store your hearing aids in a place where they won't fall or get damaged.
- Keep your hearing aids free of earwax. Earwax is one of the leading causes of decreased performance in hearing aids. Because it's impossible to avoid having your hearing aids come in contact with earwax, it's important to clean your devices every time you take them out of your ears. Simply wipe your hearing aids down with a dry cloth to remove any earwax or debris.
- Change your wax filter. Along with removing earwax from your hearing aids, you also need to periodically replace the wax filter or wax guard. The filter prevents wax from reaching the internal components of your hearing aid and damaging it. Whenever you see build-up on the filter, you know it's time to change it.
- Handle your hearing aids with care. Even though hearing aids are more durable than they once were, they still should be handled with care to avoid any damage. Whenever you are holding your hearing aids make sure you have a secure grip on them to avoid dropping them. Also, whenever you are cleaning them or replacing the batteries be sure to set them on a soft surface, such as a towel.
- Bring your hearing aids in for regular cleanings. One of the best ways to ensure your hearing aids will last you for a long time is to bring them in for regular cleanings. Along with cleaning your hearing aids daily, bringing them in for a deep cleaning by a hearing professional will ensure they continue working their best for you.
Taking care of your hearing aids can be easy if you follow these helpful tips! Remember to bring your hearing aids in if you're experiencing a problem with them or if you need them to be professionally cleaned. Call us today to set up an appointment!
Fill out the form below to send us an e-mail!